Energy Cable Systems
- Lecturer: Dr.-Ing. Johannes Kaumanns
- Contact person: Tobias Trautmann, M.Sc.
Oral examination April 5th + Repetitorium on March 29th
as announced by Mr. Kaumanns on last Friday, due to the registration numbers, this years exam will take place as oral examination on the afternoon of Wednesday, April 5th between 2 pm and 5 pm in room S3|21/303.
I set up a time schedule in moodle. Two students will be examined at the same time, so please choose one of the empty slots and register in the schedule segment until end of February. Each examination will take approximately 45 minutes. Afterwards we discuss the grade and call you back in. Therefore we plan with 1 hour slots.
As additional preparation i will give a short course review / repetitorium on Wednesday, March 29th at 1:00 pm digitally via zoom (login data in moodle)
Best regards and good luck with your exams and preparations
Excursion to Mannheim – 24.02.2023
There is going to be an excursion of our institute to Mannheim on February, 24th 2023. We'll visit Südkabel cable factory in the morning and get a lab tour of the CESI high voltage laboratories afterwards.
Preliminary information can be found on the (opens in new tab) . Registrations are open and limited and can be carried out with our office (Ms. Richter-Steinmetz – S3|21/408). Students of our lectures energy power cables, high voltage technology 1 and high voltage technology 2 are preferred. short presentation
- Module numberTUCaN: 18-hs-2140
- 2 SWS lecture
- Language of lectures: English (if there are only german speaking attendants, german is also possible on agreement)
The lecture will be taught in person in winter semester 22/23 in room S103/113 on Friday afternoon. The first lecture will take place on Friday, 28th of October at 2:25 pm.
Up to date informations as well as lecture slides are also available in moodle. Announcements will be published there.
Exam Winter term 2022/23:
Date: Wednesday April, 5th 2023 9:00-11:00 am
Depending on registrations the exam will either take place as written examination or as an oral exam. The format will be communicated during the first lectures. Normally below 5 students an oral examination takes place, whereas with more registrations we will select a written exam.
- Introduction: application, history, transmission, system behaviour
- Cable design: materials, requirements, design criteriae
- Cable manufacturing: conductors, extrusion, shield, sheath, reinforcement
- Quality requirements and testing: routine-, type and long term test, ISO 9001, standards, aging, endurance
- Cable accessories: joints, terminations, materials, field grading systems, conductor connections
- Cable systems: ampacity rating, mechanical requirements, induced voltage, short circuit requirements, transient stresses, installation techniques
- Design and operation: route planning, laying, commissioning, monitoring, maintenance
- Future trends: high-temperature superconductivity, submarine cables, DC cables, forced cooling, GIL
|1st lecture||Friday, October 28th||14:25 – 17:55||S103/113|
|2nd lecture||Friday, November 11th||14:25 – 17:55||S103/113|
|3rd lecture||Friday, November 25th||14:25 – 17:55||S103/113|
|4th lecture||Friday, December 16th||14:25 – 17:55||S103/113|
|5th lecture||Friday, January 13th||14:25 – 17:55||S103/113|
|6th lecture||Friday, January 27th||14:25 – 17:55||S103/113|
|7th lecture||Friday, February, 10th||14:25 – 17:55||S103/113|
All informations and regarding the lecture and literature can be found in moodle:
- All lecture slides (around 450 pages as dwonload
- Additional slides on current HVDC projects
- Additional references